Sunday, February 6, 2011

Excuse for no pictures

Well, Matt has come and gone and I didn't take a single picture. It felt so awesome to simply enjoy each other and not deal with the camera. I couldn't have asked for a better 2 weeks with him.

I won't leave you empty-handed. Well, yes I will, but I won't leave you empty-eyed. This is Banga. aka Jo-Jo, Roebanga (there's an "e" in there, right, Banga? maybe not...), joseph, take your pick. I've known him for maybe 8 years now and still don't know the best way to introduce him but we call him, "Banga." I have a way of convincing my friends to do things. I convinced Amber (who claims not to be outdoorsy) to work at an outdoor Bible camp (EWALU) one summer during college. Haha, lots of rain and cooking our own meals over the campfire. Thanks for sticking it out, Amber!

There we met "Jo-Jo" -- that's how he introduced himself then. We liked him so much that we decided we needed to scheme a way to make him friends with our best friends. Somehow we convinced another best friend, Ben, that he "needed" to live with Banga since they were both transferring to ISU. It worked. Throw in a few more friends like B&K (who I also introduced thankyouverymuch) and it sealed the deal. Soon enough he's getting invited to stuff without Amber or me there and even playing a major part in weddings :) Success!

I'll get off my bloat box (yes, Matt. I KNOW that's not the usually term used. I know you think I meant soapbox but really I didn't - love ya!). Anyways, I'm off the box.

My point is that Banga rocks. My point for today is that Matt got to see him both on his way in and out of Afghanistan. Banga is also deployed, but with a unit out of Iowa, not out of Texas like Matt's. Matt said it was really great to catch up with him both times. I'm sure it had to be so refreshing to see a really great friend in a not so great place. Last time I got to see Banga I think it was 2007. That's way too long ago. I jokingly said that it was the "end of our friendship" because we both knew that with all our moving we most likely wouldn't be able to see each other for a long time. Sadly, it's partially true but I got to live vicariously through Matt so that will have to do for now :)

Oh, and btw -- it's so fun seeing friends abroad. It reminds me of the time I randomly ran into Calais unexpectedly in Italy and also got to vacation with Ash in Spain. Maybe those are stories for other days...

Watch our upcoming posts for highlights from Matt's R&R :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love those moments abroad, but it was so awesome to see you guys in colorado, too! who am i kidding? it's always good to see you - even if only in iowa!

 

Copyright (c) 2009 Matt and Johnni. All rights reserved. Design by NodeThirtyThree + Free CSS Templates. Bloggerized by Free Blogger Template.