Sunday, February 13, 2011

#2 - A Poopy Situation

As you all might know, we are fairly used to not knowing when / where we are going to live, when/where Matt will deploy, etc. It actually works out since I have a problem committing to things anyway. In fact, you will rarely get a straight "yes, I'll be there" answer from me. Thing is, it's not because I don't want to be there / do that, etc. It's because I value commitment so much that I really don't want to tell you I'm going to do something unless I am 100% confident I'm going to actually do it. I want to be able to keep my word.

So, sorry in advance if I give you any wishy washy answers. I've been giving LOTS more of them since jbaby (aka Joella) was born. Plus now I have the "Army" cop-out card to play. The "deployment" card works too. Who's really going to give me a hard time if I throw that one on the table? (trust me, I don't abuse it. Not sure if I've play it yet -- have I?)

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Matt is hearing rumors of deployment #2. Codeword "#2." Why? You guessed it. It's a poopy situation... Originally rumors where 2-3 years dwell time (time between deployments). Now we're down to 16-18 months. His unit just turned around from their previous deployment after roughly 11 months. Does this sound right to you? I kind of laugh because honestly it still is a hard concept to grasp. It's so strange that it's "normal" for military families to be torn apart every other year for roughly a YEAR at a time.

The other unfortunate thing is that most families don't have nearly the support system that we do. I've blogged on that one before. It's disheartening to hear about broken marriages, adultery, irresponsible financial spending, kids getting trouble in school, funerals, etc. Don't get me wrong -- I realize (sadly) that these are the same kind of problems any family may fight. It just seems to heighten things when husbands / wives ALSO have to get through a deployment.

I'm starting to sound like debbie down here (sorry to my mom, Deb, for using that phrase)! The point that I should be emphasizing is not the one I've been making at all. My initial reaction to #2 was not, "oh crap!" Well, maybe the initial one was, but shortly thereafter I realized, "Hey, we can do this." My mind is still blown everyday how God has pulled us through this first deployment in crazy ways. For me, He has provided incredible insight and vision for the future. It's almost as if He's taken my focus OFF the deployment altogether. Think, for example, about if you are trying to go on a "diet." All you can think about is food!

Instead, He has surrounded Joella and me with so much more family and fellowship than I could have asked for. Really, how many young families have TWO sets of loving parents in the same city that are able and more than willing to drop everything to help them? To watch their kids 2-3 days a week, do all the yard work, shovel the snow, run errands, cook, etc.? Plus siblings, extended family, great life-long friends and their parents for that matter? With no added drama or complications of really difficult family dynamics? It's unheard of I think... Like I said, we are so richly blessed.

My thoughts have been overwhelmingly consumed by His purposes and His will for our lives. Sounds holy I know (trust me, I'm not that holy although I wish I were). It is my hope that we can be an encouragement for other families who have to go through the same frustrating transition period. So that they might know that there's more to look forward to than the complaints of deployment. That they don't have to be the ones to pull themselves through it. Someone else is more than willing to do it for them.

Also, perhaps we can help bridge the Army / civilian gap in that a lot of people simply don't know how to help. Think practical. What would any single parent need? Do you know any? What about widows or lonely grandparents? Do you know any of them? People just need to be loved. Maybe it's mowing their lawn. Maybe it's running an errand for them in the winter. Maybe it's cooking a meal. You don't have to be part of some small group on a mission or on an organized meal delivery to make an impact on someone's life (although all those things are great too). Really all you need is to open your eyes / ears a little to see the need...

I feel like I have gotten a glimpse into what it would like as a single mom. I'm so glad that I'm not (so fortunate to be Matt's wife!)

Well, I'll let you know about anything else that comes along with our #2!
 

Copyright (c) 2009 Matt and Johnni. All rights reserved. Design by NodeThirtyThree + Free CSS Templates. Bloggerized by Free Blogger Template.