Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Proof

This post is proof that we DO do more than just hang out with our dogs... It's also proof that we're both putting our engineering degrees to good use! :)

The need for a bookshelf arose when I decided to re-arrange. I persuaded Matt to help me move the cheapo bookshelf made from pressed wood that barely survived the move down here. From the start he told me that it was going to break, but I was persistent. Sure enough, it broke and I scurried to get as many books off the shelf before it collapsed. I was partially happy that it broke because I really hated the thing.

A little nerdy, we started this project on a Friday night between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We stayed up late to finish the model. Matt took the lead on this one. This was yet another example of us discovering our different levels of perfectionism. I'd like to say that we balance each other out nicely :)
We woke up early Saturday morning to make it to the safety course at the wood shop on post. Fortunately for us, we couldn't have timed it better because they only offer the required course once a week. Next we bought the carefully selected wood based on our "bill of materials."
We were in and out of the wood shop in less than 2 hours. We had pre-planned each of the cuts needed, so things couldn't have gone any smoother. Next we quickly converted the entire duplex into a workshop of our own.

The living room served as the drilling station. The door entrance was the drying area. (wood glue drying) Not pictured was the skill saw room to make a few minor adjustments.
Surprisingly, pre-assembly was a piece of cake. Everything fit perfectly. That is, everything except the wall. We had to scoot the shelf over a few feet due to a very warped wall. Throughout the week I took the lead on staining and varnishing on the oh-so-well-ventilated 6'x6' storage shed. I think I spent a couple too many hours in there...


We did not poka-yoke (buzzword for mistake proof) our assembly process. As soon as the the stain was applied, we could no longer see our pencil marks showing where the shelves lined up on the side pieces. Assembly took MUCH too long. I tried to surprise Matt by having it done when he got back from his Funeral Detail but it turned out I just made things worse. We ended up with a few extra holes and a stripped screw, but I think we hid it pretty well! Here's the finished product. We're both glad it's done!Matt and I recently learned that one of the guys in our Sunday school class built an entire house without any plans. That blew us both away after all the planning we put into a bookshelf.

2 comments:

Ben + Chelsa said...

I'm so impressed! Good work you two, it is beautiful!

Autumn said...

hey guys! wow--i'm impressed. the shelf is beautiful. i've always been a fan of the ladder-style :)

 

Copyright (c) 2009 Matt and Johnni. All rights reserved. Design by NodeThirtyThree + Free CSS Templates. Bloggerized by Free Blogger Template.