Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A new home

Matt here this time, with my first post in several weeks. I think the last post I made was from Kyrgystan prior to flying down into Afghanistan. A lot has happened and changed since then -- so here's a quick update.

I spent the first 4 weeks of my deployment in one city in northern Afghanistan. I did quite a bit of flying there -- much more than I expected to that soon in the deployment. All of my flights were training flights (no real life medevac missions), but it was good to get back into flying after several months off.

The best way I can describe the first place is hot and dusty, but actually quite beautiful at times. Here are a few pictures:

The view as I stepped out of my tent one evening

A view of the tents we lived in

A look inside the tent at my bunk...I hate the top bunk.

Getting ready for a flight


I recently moved to a new place though, which puts the first place to shame in a lot of ways. It might be that I have lowered my standards of living, but many aspects of this place are comfortable. It's about 5-10 degrees cooler, the camp is much smaller, the people are friendlier, and the food is excellent. Yes, excellent.

I'm not going to say the name of the city I am in, but it is one of the safest cities in Afghanistan. The people here are friendly and like the ISAF because we brought them electricity. We've also brought them a great deal of money in the form of leased land, building projects, etc. I don't have many pictures yet but here are a few:

The new place I live

My space in the tent (two cots)

The outdoor "indoor" soccer field. The Norwegians are good at soccer!

A look outside the interior perimeter of the camp

That same gate from a different angle -- those are village buildings on the other side of the fence.

One of the things I've done since getting here is taken over for the Air Force Master Planner who got pulled from his job a few weeks early. He was coordinating all of the building projects on the camp that were being done by the local Afghan people. How it got dumped on my lap I still can't figure out, but now I'm finding myself as a construction project manager in addition to medevac pilot.

Have you ever tried to explain what needs to be done on a project without using words? That's what I do several times a day now. Explaining that each floor needs two coats of polyurethane is not easy without words. It's also tough to explain that the two water tanks, which were included as part of the system, are not needed for the project but they must be left with us. I really need to learn some of the Pashto language. I'll be sure to post a picture next time of me with Rustam, the foreman.

I almost forgot the best part about my new location. Free wifi internet! We are only allowed to use it during certain hours of the day, and it's usually pretty slow, but it's been wonderful to have internet access again on a regular basis. I got to talk to and see Johnni and Joella a few days ago via Skype for the first time since I left Kyrgystan -- it was wonderful! Joella is getting so old! Johnni has been great about sending me photos/videos of her when she sends me packages, but those are always at least 10 days old due to the transit times. It was wonderful to get to see them in real time. Joella kept trying to hand me things, point to me, blow me kisses, and walk toward me. Yes, walk! I couldn't believe it. Johnni said she counted 14 steps in a row last week. crazy. It's fun that even if I have to be gone for so long I can still keep up with things back home fairly well.

5 comments:

Jane Schaefer said...

It is so good to hear from you, Matt!! I am glad you like your new surroundings and you are in a relatively safe place. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope your time away from home goes by quickly. Keep up the good work - we are proud of you!

Johnni said...

I think this post deserves more comments considering how slow your internet is and the sleep you gave up to post it :) Definitely gives us a good idea about where you spend your days. Crazy but neat that you're starting to learn some Dari. Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Matt! Hey it's Kayle (& Kyle:) I have been checking your blog about once a week to see how things are going for you and Johnni, so glad to see your post! Of course you would be made a construction PM, they must have got wind of the bookcase you all made! Update when you can, we are praying for you and Johnni and Joella! Miss you all and stay safe!!!!

Anonymous said...

Matt.. So good to read your message and to see pictures of where you are. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to instruct someone on how to do things when you do not speak the same language. From what I understand, there are several languages there. It is an interesting country.
Your Dad and Dean are out golfing this morning as it is actually cooler here. It has been great to turn off our air for a few days. Of course your dad golfs regardless of the temperature.
We saw Joella last week when your folks were
babysitting for an afternoon. She is so precious. Your parents love having her spend some time with them.
We think of you each day and pray for your safe return. We know you are good at what you do and are so proud of you.
We send our love. Dean and Sherrie

Ashley Schrage said...

Matt! Thanks for the post :) It's great to know you are safe and what you're up to. Although it doesn't make up for your hugs and kisses, I think I'm giving Joella plenty extra :)

 

Copyright (c) 2009 Matt and Johnni. All rights reserved. Design by NodeThirtyThree + Free CSS Templates. Bloggerized by Free Blogger Template.